Now that you have determined the goals you want to achieve, it’s time to narrow down and select which one to work on this year!
For day two of the Week One Reset, I share some tips on how you can decide what goal to work towards and how the year should look like. I also share some inspiration from the book Dedicated: The Case for Commitment in an Age of Infinite Browsing by Pete Davis.
#1 Reason Why New Year’s Resolutions Fail Episode: https://www.weekonereset.com/goals
[2:10] Emily shares the importance of focusing on one goal this 2022.
[4:25] Emily explains how our fear of missing out could affect how we commit to things.
[5:46] Emily shares how instant gratification contributes to why we have commitment issues.
[7:47] Emily shares the importance of powering through your resolutions.
[11:50] Emily discusses the activity for the second day of Week 1 Reset. (Procrastinate on Purpose)
- To set the perfect goal this year, dedicate yourself to one of your goals. Don’t spread yourself thin and attempt to accomplish multiple goals at once. Narrow your focus on one goal you deeply desire and one specific thing you’re going all-in on this year.
- If you’re working on a goal, see if you can incorporate it into your day-to-day life so that you don’t have to convince and pressure yourself from doing it.
- Speed and shallowness are often linked in terms of goal-setting.
- We don’t want to be using 100% of our effort all the time to achieve our goals. Usually, the more effort it requires for longer, that’s when people start falling off.
- Committing to one goal builds momentum and habit.
- There are some items on your to-do list today that you don’t need to do today.
- Procrastinate on purpose by holding off on your goals this year and moving them to next year.
- When you start taking your list of every single goal and deciding which ones can be worked on later, you get a much clearer idea of the important ones and the ones you should accomplish now.
- Don’t think you’re making a right or wrong decision by choosing one of your goals today and putting the others on the back burner. This is just a decision that you’re committing to now, and you’re future will adjust accordingly. You can make any choice into the perfect one.
“We’re missing out on a lot of the things that we crave because we keep on jumping from thing to thing.” – Emily [4:25]
“Reaching a goal isn’t what gives us meaning. Holding ourselves accountable is what gives us meaning. It’s not just the actual accomplishment of the goals. It’s all about working up that goes there.” – Emily [7:32]
Are you struggling to meet your new year’s resolution every time? Perhaps, you have fallen into some traps that hinder you from meeting your goals.
Listen to an additional 15-minute episode discussing the number one reason why new year’s resolutions fail and a step-by-step plan on how you can avoid that path: https://www.weekonereset.com/goals