Have you ever wondered if you have what it takes to become a personal trainer online? If you’re a former collegiate or retired athlete, maybe this could be a great career path after graduation.
In this episode of the Live Your Personal Best podcast, I speak with Sydney Cummings, a certified National Academy of Sports Medicine personal trainer who aspires to provide quality fitness content accessible to everyone through Youtube.
Listen to this episode to learn more about how Sydney went from training for $6 a session to building an online fitness community of over 1 MILLION followers.
[2:06] Sydney talks about her collegiate athletic career.
[4:59] Sydney shares her transition from college athlete to her chosen paths after graduation.
[7:58] Sydney describes her workout routine after graduation.
[14:31] Sydney talks about her Youtube channel and how she transitioned to becoming an online fitness trainer.
[22:51] Sydney reveals the logistics behind her online training videos.
[25:42] Sydney chats about her month-long break.
[28:34] Sydney leaves her last pieces of advice.
- Many people have no idea what they should do when they are at the gym.
- Gyms have become a social media-heavy environment that affects how people do their exercise.
- More and more people are looking for full and consistent workouts when searching for possible online fitness trainers.
- It’s normal to feel scared and crazy when you try to do something that no one has done before.
- When looking for online fitness trainers, one of the qualities that you should look for is not just they’re training you, but they’re training with you.
- It feels more intimate when you follow a Youtube fitness trainer who uploads new exercise content every day because you can see the changes with their body as they go through the exercise with you.
- The life you should live in should be rooted in what makes you happy.
- Don’t view calories as the enemy. View strength as your biggest ally in fitness.
- Aesthetic will come if you train for strength.
“You just don’t have a choice. You just do.” – Sydney [21:15]
“[The] struggle is part of the [fitness] journey.” – Sydney [22:35]
“Try and make something that you actually enjoy, especially with fitness, but also in life.” [28:36]
“Train for strength. Stop training to punish yourself. Stop training to undo calories.” [29:32]
“You’re much stronger than you realize.” – Sydney[30:09]